COMPLIANCE TO WINDLOAD SPECIFICATIONS:
Building structural designs must meet wind loads as detailed in Australian Standard AS1170.2. These are complex computations prepared by structural engineers familiar with the project requirements and include the region, terrain category, building importance level, building shape and size and many other factors including the consideration of dominant openings in cyclonic areas.
Roller shutters in cyclonic regions must be able to withstand the calculated Ultimate Limit State (ULS) Pressures (P*) (positive and negative) as determined by the structural engineer designing the building. Note that the ULS Pressures will change for each door depending on the direction the wall and door are facing and the position of the door relative to the corner of the building.
Further depending on the structural engineer’s assumptions in relation to dominant openings roller shutters may need to demonstrate the ability to withstand debris to the nominated design wind speed.
We will design our products to suit ULS Pressures (positive and negative) provided to us based on extensive full scale and component testing performed at James Cook University – Cyclone Testing Station.
Our products have been debris tested and meet the requirements for buildings of importance level 4 as nominated in the BCA for both Regions C and D.
We are able to provide third party engineering certification if requested at additional cost. For the Northern Territory Mirage Doors holds DTCM certification reference M/423/01 for our cyclone rated roller shutter products.
Structural elements onto which the roller shutters are fitted must be able to withstand the loads imparted by the doors at ULS Pressures. Please contact our engineering staff for loads based on specific project requirements.
- 100mm slats for cyclone rated roller shutters are available in two material gauges – 1.0mm or 1.2mm;
- 130mm slats for cyclone rated roller shutters are available in two material gauges – 1.2mm or 1.6mm;
Roll formed in house at Mirage Doors. Slat thickness is dependent on the opening width and the ULS Pressures (positive and negative) of each door opening for the project. The Slats are retained in position using cast steel wind lock end clips fitted to every second slat.
This product can be customised to suit sizes in excess of 10 metres width. Consult your nearest Mirage Doors branch for a full engineering assessment and recommended customised product solution.
Fabricated from mild steel tube with the outside diameter and thickness appropriate to the size and application of the steel roller shutter. Drums are generally provided with springs to counterbalance the mass of the Curtain. For larger openings or high cycle applications a springless drum complete with direct drive motor gearbox incorporating brake can be provided.
Guide configurations are dependent on ULS Pressure requirements and door sizes. Light duty, Medium Duty and Heavy Duty options will be provided based on project requirements.
Guides are to be fitted behind structural elements to be consistent with tested configurations and for the protection of the Guides in normal traffic conditions.
Mirage will provide a pair of brackets fabricated from prime painted mild steel, with the steel gauge to suit the shutter sizes.
Options include aluminium, steel angle or RHS steel box section.
- Weather seals are an optional extra on all bottom rail types.
Electric operation is by a motor / gearbox to suit the shutter size c/- push button operation via a reversing contactor. This includes emergency chain operation in the event of power failure. Key switches or other controls can be added if required.
Sliding padbolts (inside OR outside) – padlocks by others. Manual locking is not advisable on motorised roller shutters.
- Galvabond steel (standard);
- Standard Dulux Duralloy or Interpon D1000 powdercoat finishes painted in house. Extended period warranty powders are not suitable for roller shutter products.
- Wet paint finishes are recommended for high corrosive environments.
- Work by others:
- Power supply provision if required;
- Structurally adequate wall / columns / structural angles to provide “behind wall fixing” of Guide tracks and support the roller shutter Drum and Brackets;
- Adequate headroom & sideroom.
- The power supply required for the motor is either:
- 3 phase 415v with neutral (10 amp), located within one metre of the motor;
- Single phase hard wired (10 amp), located within one metre of the motor.
- Product warranty – 12 months.
- Regular preventative maintenance is required to ensure cyclonic rated roller shutters will operate as designed in high wind loading events. Refer to our engineering staff for inspection and maintenance procedures.